Sunday 12 January 2014

Eats: Salad Jars




Do you ever feel that making lunches for work gets so boring and repetitive after a while? I know it does for me, so a lot of the time I just buy my lunches and lets be honest, not only is buying your lunch everyday expensive, but you tend to make unhealthy food choices just because it's quicker and easier. These salad jars are a perfect lunch option, the flavours are endless and they keep fresh and tasty in the fridge for up to 8 days.

Now I'm not a salad eater myself, never have been, probably never will be - I know you think I'm crazy, I think I am too.  I've just never been able to eat it, it's the texture that puts me right off.  Anyway, this post isn't about my lack of salad eating ways, it's about my husbands LOVE for salad!

So I decided it would be nice for him to have some healthy and YUMMY salads for lunch! Since he isn't a big lunch eater, I know something rather small but substantial will go down great.

I was definitely inspired to whip up some yummy salads after reading Amy's post over HERE, she has some great recipes which look delicious!

So here are three recipes for salads in-a-jar, which are super easy to make and taste great too - according to my husband anyway :-P



Mexican chickpea salad with chilli/lime dressing
(Makes 4 jars)

Ingredients for salad
- Cooked brown rice
- Cooked chickpeas
- Salsa
- Red onion, chopped
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- Coriander, finely chopped
- Baby spinach leaves

Chilli/lime dressing (quantities per jar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds (powder)
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper

Method
1. Combine all your ingredients for the chilli/lime dressing into your jars, screw lids on, shake to combine.
2. Start building your salad component. You want to start with the ingredients which will absorb the dressing well, so I started with the following:
- Cooked brown rice
- Salsa
- Cooked chickpeas
- Red onion
- Tomatoes
- Coriander
- Lastly, pack in the spinach leaves



Cobb Salad
(Makes 4 jars)

Ingredients for salad
- Baby spinach leaves
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 to 6 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Meat of your choice, turkey or chicken
- Cheese, grated

Balsamic dressing (quantities per jar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper

Method
1. Combine all your ingredients for the balsamic dressing into your jars, screw lids on, shake to combine.
2. Start building your salad component. I started with the following:
- Tomatoes
- Avocado
- Egg
- You can put the meat here, I didn't use meat
- Spinach
- Lastly, sprinkle some cheese on top



Caesar salad with bacon - add cooked chicken if you wish
(Makes 4 jars)

Ingredients
- Cos lettuce leaves
- 4 to 6 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Cooked bacon pieces
- Croutons
- Parmesan, shaved
- Caesar dressing

Method
1. Place a small amount of the caesar dressing in the base of your jar, DON'T shake!
2. Start building your salad component. I started with the following:
- Eggs
- Bacon
- Croutons
- Lettuce leaves
- Lastly, sprinkle parmesan on top


Notes:
- You want to ensure that the greenery is always on the top, away from the dressing otherwise it will just turn soggy.
- For best taste, tip your jar into a bowl once your ready to eat to enjoy all the wonderful flavours!


I hope you have fun creating some salads in jars - please let me know if you have some recipes, I'd love to try them out!

Thanks so much for stopping by xx






No comments:

Post a Comment